Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Give me vegetables, or give me death!

It always amazes me how intelligent our bodies are and how dumb our minds can be- the flippin' ego! Goodness! Most of us know that pre-packaged snack cakes are unhealthy, but eat them anyway. We can put a whole hell of a lot of crap into our bodies and they keep running. Put water into a gas tank of a car and it stops-- put frozen dinners and Twinkies into your body and they keep running. Well, until you get heart disease or diabetes...

I've always been a healthy eater, but since converting to veganism, my body has become a lot more sensitive to what I put into it. It is used to whole foods, grains, nuts, and the occasional wine and chocolate. When I overdose on wine, chocolate, beer or whatever unhealthy gorge I endeavor, my body takes it pretty hard. It starts to scream, "VEGETABLES! NUTRITION! NOW! YOU STUPID BITCH!" That's exactally what my belly yelled at me Monday morning after an afternoon and evening of watching football, eating too many chips and consuming way to many brews for my frame. Yikes.

To balance my body, I always drink a lot of water and eat a shit-ton of healthy fruits and vegetables. Usually, I keep the spices pretty plain to help restore my bod back to neutral. Craving some goodness, I made up a fresh spinach salad with roasted portabellas, green beans, and some cherry tomatoes we froze from the garden last summer. Has anyone froze tomatoes before? They weren't the greatest, but I felt better about eating some thawed out local guys instead of something from California. Anyway, it was flippin' delicious and made me feel a lil' better.

Portabella glaze
Balsamic vinegar
a few dashes of olive oil
Garlic- minced or powdered
salt or soy sauce
pepper

Eyeball all the ingredients to make enough to cover your 'bellas. I put enough balsamic vinegar and a about 1 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil at the bottom of a rectangular bowl. Place as many lil' 'bellas that I could in the bowl. I dusted some powdered garlic over them and then drizzled with a dash of soy sauce. Salt would also do the trick there, too. Toss a little pepper on them, making sure they are coated with the balsamic marinade. While marinating, heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the 'shrooms on a baking sheet and drape with some foil. Place in the oven to roast. Depending on the size and how many you are roasting, vary the time. I left mine in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Place these suckers on a salad, eat over some rice or even in a sandwich. They're delicious. You might even make your dog jealous!

Going....
Gone!

2 comments: