Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Miso Hungry!

Growing up, my mom would call the weekly visit to the grocery store 'big grocery', meaning she'd be stocking up for the week. We'd then call quick trips to the store, 'little grocery'.  Kinda cute, right?  I guess it's stuck with me into my adult years because now on Sundays, I head to the store for my 'big grocery'.  It's helpful, especially when I know I have a busy week ahead of me.

I pick out what looks good to me on that day.  It might not be ideal later that week, but forces me to incorporate and experiment with new recipes.  This way, I'm always trying something new!  Some nights I'll come home and think, "Dang, I only have this, that and some of that thing. How is this going to be good?" Sure, not everything can be fantastic because I make plenty of bland and boring dishes.  My amazing successes bring you, blog posts! Ta-da!

Taking note of the vegetables I had on hand along with some tofu, I opted to saute some veggies and make up a miso glaze for the tofu. I bedded the vegetable mixture on top of some soba noodles.  A perfect meal for the first of September!  

Miso Glazed Tofu and Vegetables over Soba Noodles

Like a majority of my recipes, they're flexiable. Feel free to sub in any other vegetable on hand.

Miso Glaze
2 tsps miso
1 1/2 tbs rice vinegar and soy sauce
2 garlic cloves - chopped
ginger- chopped to your liking.  
a couple shakes of crushed red pepper
1/4 cup cilantro- chopped. Save some for a garnish

tofu marinating

Whisk together until miso has dissapeared. Place tofu into the dish, coating evenly. Let it marinade as you prep the vegetables and bring water for the noodles to a boil.

I chopped up the following or use whatcha have on hand. 

radishes
red pepper
peas
garbanzo beans

vegetables and tofu sauteing 

Heat olive oil in a pan and let tofu sit about 4 minutes on each side. After you've flipped the tofu, toss in the vegeteables. Saute them together until the vegetables are done. Drizzle the remaining marinade over them before tossing with the noodles.   Strain the noodles and fold everything together. Dust with some fresh cilantro!

No comments:

Post a Comment