Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gluten Free Goodness

One of the girls I work with was nice enough to switch up their Saturday schedules with me so I could take off for Labor Day.  I was so excited she was able to cover for me - allowing a long lazy weekend with my boys.  

To show my appreciation and love for anyone, in any situation, I make food.  Being so pleased that Alyse could cover my shift, I made up some cookies!  These weren't just any cookies - they were wheat-free vegan cookies!  My lil' darlin' is allergic to wheat and I was more than happy to accommodate and try out some new flours in the kitchen!  

I made up a batch of Peanut Butter cookies and Chocolate Chip, of course.  

The Peanut Butter batch was a little crumbly, but absolutely delicious.  A simple recipe with only 4 ingredients will have any taste buds dancing in seconds. 

Wheat-Free Vegan PB Cookies

1 c sugar + some to roll the dough in
1 c peanut butter - I used chunky, feel free to use whatever
1 egg or 1 egg replacer - I used Ener-G egg replacer
a dash of salt

Try a splash of vanilla!  

Roll into balls and then into a shallow bowl of sugar, coating evenly.  Place on an un-greased cookie sheet.  With the back of a fork, press down gently making cris-cross marks.  Just like you did with Ma' when you were a youngster!

Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes.  Let your appetite and the cookies cool before taking off of the pan, they'll be a little soft.  You will want to eat them right off of the pan...

These cookies are absolutely blissful.  Sure, they might not be the most healthy thing in the world, but they're just lovely.  I'm definitely making them again!  Make up a batch and share them with some one you love!  

2 comments:

  1. Cookies have to be one of the hardest things to make vegan, since they rely so much on that egg for structure. Cake seems to do alright with replacements, but I haven't found a cookie that's really wowed me. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Eric! Great question! Finding that perfect vegan cookie can be a bit tricky... One recipe I really love is Isa's Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance. If you google VWAV you'll find the recipe. It's probably my favorite one! When we get together next, I'll make up some for you to try!

    ReplyDelete