Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Temphe Rubies

I've always associated ruben sandwiches with business men and office workers. Until recently, I'd immediately think of the Stein Lounge in downtown Green Bay. It was a local gathering spot for business men, alcoholics and people who loved to house some greasy rubens. A great place to hold a meeting with a client, of course! They were known around town and especially among the 9-5ers downtown to have pretty dank ruben sandwich. Even when I was an omni, that I had ever had one, but now, I'm addicted.

Earlier this fall I went with one of my girlfriends to the French Meadow Bakery in Uptown, Minneapolis for lunch. They have a temphe ruben on their menu that is to die for. I have since then been dreaming of it. My dreaming has ceased! Being the talented vegan chef I am, I made one up at home that's even better! Okay, I'm going a little far... But it is still flippin' delicious! Now when someone mentions ruben sandwiches, I think 'Heck yeah!'

This is waayyyy healthier than any original ruben. It might not be a raw vegetable wrap, but when it's 12:30 on a Wednesday and you need a lil' salty motivation to get you through the rest of the day, it's your best bet!

Temphe Rubies
Temphe or tofu
sauarkraut
chipotle mayo
tomato
two slices of bread

Temphe Marinde
1/2 c lite soy sauce
1/4 c water
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp ketchup
1 1/2 tsp spicy brown mustard
dashes of pepper

Slice temphe to your liking. Whisk everything together in a pan and place temphe strips in the pan to marinade, 'bout an hour or so. While they are marinading, preheat the oven to 375. Place in the oven for about 30-40 minutes, until liquid has evaporated.

Chipotle Mayo
This is so easy, I shouldn't even write it down! Enough for one sandwich.
1 to 1 ratio
1 tbsp vegan mayo
1 tsp chipotle powder
For a lil' more of a kick, I added a couple dashes of cayenne, too.

Take sauerkraut into a fry pan and warm up. Once it's to the temperature that you like, remove from heat. Assemble sandwich and toast in the pan. Be sure to add a lil' Earth Balance on either side of the bread so it doesn't burn!

If you're a busy business lady or not, eat this! It's flippin' delicious and satisfying. Plus, if you're freaking about about H1N1, sauerkraut is known for its powerful fermented photychemicals that help boost the immune system. One super tasty-superfood that can help fight off the flu and colds!

No comments:

Post a Comment