Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy Fall!

Cooler weather, pumpkins, squash, apples and cider - I love you Fall!  I'd take a beautiful Fall day, any day.  I love the smells, colors and temperatures.  It's just a fantastic time of year!  I have this odd instinct to bake and make soup whenever the weather gets a little cooler.  I don't know if it's learned or what, but it's all I want to do this time of year!  

Zucchini Chowder

I've been making soups every Sunday for my busy weeks.  This week I tossed together an easy Zucchini Chowder.  6 easy ingredients for a fast and healthy meal. 

Zucchini Chowda'
2-3 zucchinis - chopped
1/2 red onion
3-4 garlic cloves -minced
enough rice milk or water to just cover the vegetables in the pot
2 tbs nutritional yeast
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil

Sauté onion and garlic in some olive oil in a large stock pot.  Add zucchini for about 3-4 minutes and then add milk or water-- enough to cover.  Add in nutritional yeast and basil.  Simmer until soft and then using an immersion blender, blend away!  If you don't have an immersion blender toss everything into a blender or food processor until you reach your ideal consistency.  

I garnished mine with some lime juice instead of salt and some raw chopped zucchini for a little crunch... Later in the week I brought some to my sister who is studying for the LSAT on Saturday.  She told me it didn't have enough flavor and needed salt... So if your palate is used to MSG or a lot of studying, add some salt!  

Go on, heat up your house with homemade love!  

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have serious allergies right now... that's why I couldn't taste anything!

    ReplyDelete