Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Bitter and Tough

Bitter, tough and a second away from ordering takeout had always been my association with eggplants.  They intimidated my culinary abilities.  Don't get me wrong, I love baba ganoush, ratatouille and a good moussaka.  It's all great, unless I try to make it.    I've never been successful preparing anything with eggplant that tastes good.  It's almost become an embarrassment.  Reviewing my eggplant failures, I realized I knew nothing about the fruit.  Yes, eggplant is a fruit!  A little bit of education can go a long way and lead to one dang tasty dinner.  

This even got the thumbs up on this dish by some hungry Packer fans.  

Eggplant Steaks with Chic Pea Cilantro Salsa

Slice eggplant lengthwise and coat in marinade.  I just used some olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper.  Place the 'steaks' on the grill, wait about 3 minutes before flipping.  When they are brown and tender remove from the grill and plate them with any dressing or salsa.  


Eggplants fresh off the grill

Chic Pea Salsa


Chic Pea Salsa
3 tomatoes - a can of diced tomatoes would work fine here, too. 
1/2 cup cilantro - chopped
1 can chic peas
1/2 of a lime- squeezed
salt n' pepper to taste

Finally, a successful eggplant experience!  

1 comment:

  1. As one of those hungry Packer fans, I can surely tell you: the Packers will go 16-0 this year.

    ReplyDelete