Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Lenten Loaf

My family is far from religious. We do take advantage of holidays, rounding everyone up to have a delicious feast.  Knowing my Grandma was preparing some sort of meat loaf this year for Easter, I made up my own to lentil loaf to pass.  

After we dished up our plates, my cousin next to me gave me the weirdest look and asked, "I thought you didn't eat meat?"  He was surprised by my loaf and admitted he was fooled thinking it was actually meat.  Silly Omnivores!  

Lentil Loaf with Roasted Garlic Potatoes and Mushroom Gravy from VCON

Lentil Loaf

Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves- crushed
1/2 of an onion chopped
1 carrot, chopped into small pieces of shaved
2 celery stalks sliced and chopped into lil' pieces
1 1/2 c mushrooms 

2 cups lentils

1 cup oats
2 tbs flax meal
1/2 cup ground pumpkin seeds
1 cup tomato sauce 
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp sage
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 tsp tyme
1 tbs basil
1 tbs cumin
1 tbs salt - 
Pepper to taste

Rinse lentils and bring to boil.  Simmer until soft. 
Saute onion, garlic and vegetables until soft.
Grind up pumpkin seeds in a food processor and mix everything together.  Add more flax meal if it seems a bit wet, otherwise mix together and press into a greased loaf pan.  
Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Serve with whatever sauce your lil' lenten heart desires!  


No comments:

Post a Comment