Friday, February 27, 2009

Baker

It's been a year since I adopted my furry friend, Baker.  Call me what you will, but I knew when I first saw him that he and I were going to be friends.  Maybe it was his chubby body and low-ridin' style or the freckles on his nose.  I don't know.  Either way, the St. Bernard/Basset Hound had my heart.  Within a week, he was sleeping on my couch.  

(The Beast-- at rest) 


When I picked him up from the shelter, he was originally named "Bacon", I knew I could never call a dog Bacon, so he has now taken the name Baker.  Some times he listens when I call his name, some times he doesn't-- I blame it on his hearing going since he's so old.  He was even 50% off at the shelter when I took him home, my lil' Babe is growing up so fast!  He just turned 10 this month.   

The last year has been filled with fun learning experiences and adventures.  I cannot express the joy that this little guy has brought to me; him snoring louder than my grandpa, begging for belly rubs or being the cutest cuddle bug.  He is the best! 

Before I start to sound like one of those weird lonely dog people, I just want to say that the insight from rescuing a dog from a shelter is like no other.  It is so rewarding, just knowing that you have rescued a dog in need, and are giving it a second chance feels great!  If you are considering a new addition into your family, check our your local shelter.  There are so many wonderful pooches there that just want love.  Not only will you feel good about helping and being a part of something so special, you'll have a really fun story to tell!  I love telling mine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment