Thursday, February 18, 2010

I take my spinach blended

Since I had my Monday bug, I've been trying to be more healthy. Most people I tell that to say, 'you're already healthy, you just eat vegetables'. Yes, this is true, but anyone can always do better. I'm not talking crazy amounts of change, just little things that I think will help my health in the long run. All week, I stayed away from any refined sugar, alcohol and anything that came in a package. So far, I feel amazing and it was such a little adjustment.

I know my personality and know that I won't be able to completely avoid these things, I just need to listen to my body. One glass of wine is better than the bottle, sometimes... Whatever, I'm feeling better, getting more exercise and feeeeeelin' fine! Healthy vegans unite!

Yesterday for lunch I was feeling too rushed and indecisive to make anything for lunch before heading to school. My body was craving nutritious and health things so I decided to toss what I had into a blender. Absolute deliciousness! I hardly ever make smoothies and outdid myself. They're more than easy to make, nutritious and so adaptable. Three things I love in a recipe! This smoothie fueled me all afternoon. I liked it so much I made it again for breakfast today!

Can you see spinach in that? Didn't think so, you were too busy looking at my Lambeau glass.

Baker's daddy took one look at me making this smoothie this morning and asked, "spinach? In a smoothie? Really?' Heck yeah! For those of you who already incorporate greens and other vegetables into fruit smoothies know how good it is. The spinach helps add iron, calcium and lutein and is pretty much undetectable in taste and texture. Do something good for you body that tastes great! I promise you won't be let down.

Blended Goodness
1 1/2 bananas
1/2 cup or more frozen blueberries
1 handful of spinach
splash of almond milk or water
a few ice cubes

Toss everything into the blender and blend. If you don't have any almond milk, water will do the trick, too. The almond milk just makes it a tad creamier.

No comments:

Post a Comment