Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Bah! Humbug!

Every year, as I get older, I begin to dislike the holidays more and more.  Don't be mistaken, I love seeing my family, especially the ones I never get to visit with, cooking rich foods that I'm thankful to eat only once a year and relaxing with some cider.  Besides that, I can't stand it.  Christmas might as well be called Consumer-mas.  The material consumption of Christmas drives me completely batty.  It gets earlier and earlier each year, too.  I'm not a scrooge by any means.  I'd  rather give my time and love instead of some cheap thoughtless gift.  Why buy something for someone on a certain day just because it has become an advertised tradition?  I don't buy into it.  No pun intended. 

I'm jumping off my soap box, it is only about 8 am...  When I used to go shopping for the holidays, I'd allow myself to stop at a coffee shop when I'd finish.  It's hard  dodging unhappy families and pushy sales clerks at the mall.  Plus, trying to tune out James Taylor singing Christmas covers makes anyone exhausted!  Anyway, more coffee shops have seasonal drinks and snacks; pumpkin, eggnog and peppermint drinks with a tasty pumpkin or chocolate peppermint cookie are quite common.  Since I usually can't indulge in baked goods at coffee shops I've become a vegan baking fool at home.  And one thing I do get excited about during the holidays is baking and pumpkin creations.  I love pumpkin.  Pumpkin muffins, scones, brownies, pies, curries, soups, the list could go on and on!  It's a versatile fall food that I adore. 
 
This scone recipe will resemble a scone or muffin you once had at a Starbucks or local coffee joint in your past.  I recommend taking your time to sit down with a warm beverage and enjoy each and every bite of this pumpkiny, rasiny, cinnimony goodness.  So, get to it!  

Pumpkin Raisin Scones

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup flour

1/2 cup brown sugar

2 teaspoons  cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking pow

1/4 baking soda

1/2 salt

3/4 cup apple sauce

1 can pumpkin

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 

1/2 cup raisins


Preheat oven to 450 as you mix the ingredients together.  Whisk the dry stuff together and the wet ingredients together.  Add all together in one big bowl, stirring in the raisins.  Form into triangles, blobs, animals, whatever and place into the oven on a cookie sheet.  Bake for about 25 minutes.  


Cinnamon Glaze

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1 teaspoons cinnamon or more- eyeball it

2 tablespoons soy milk 


Stir the cinnamon and sugar together.  Slowly add the milk and whisk into a thin paste-like consistency.  Drizzle over lightly cooled scones.  


So if you don't warm up to the consumer-driven holiday like I do, don't worry!  There is nothing wrong with you-- maybe with the rest of our culture...  But really, making these scones and sharing them with people you love over a cup of coffee or tea will warm your lil' heart and have you smiling.  

2 comments:

  1. Those look SOOO GOOD!* (*Say it like the teen girl squad) Will you make them for me some time? I love the picture with Baker. You are an awesome photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did Baker get to sample some of this?????
    I think that Baker would like you to develop a "carrot" scone just for him!! (At least that's what he told me)

    ReplyDelete