Saturday, November 7, 2009

six foot four and full o' muscles

I never really appreciated brussel sprouts until this year and I really like them!  Every time I chop them up I always sing the Men at Work song, "Down Under".  Why aren't there more Australian bands that sing about Vegimite?  

My sister and her husband came to visit with their new and adorable dog, Mazie.  They adpoted her from a shelter in Madison, Wisconsin.  She's come a long way from being a stray to living in a home full of love and squeaky toys.  They don't know for sure how old she is, but she still has a lot of 'puppy' energy.  Knowing this, I prepared a home cooked meal full of love for all of us to enjoy.  I made up some black bean burgers and roasted brussel sprouts from the farmers market.  I'm bummed I won't be getting my weekly fix of fresh brussels until next year.  Waiting always makes seasonal goods taste so much better and special.

Grab some tasty brews or a nice glass of wine to wash down the meal.  I recommend a wine that complements a lil' spice in food.  I was told that the burgers have a kick-  you be the judge on how spicy you want to make them!  I didn't think that they were that spicy.  But, I like it hot... 

Vino and brussels waiting to be chopped
Black Bean Burgs'
1 cup brown rice
1 cup black beans
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red onion
1-2 grated carrot
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
2 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pep
salt n' pepper to taste

Mix  3/4ths of the black beans and brown rice together and place in the food processor.  Blend until smooth.  Remove from processor and add in remaining beans, rice and other ingredients.   When all ingredients are incorporated, form patties.  Place on a lightly greased baking sheet into a preheated oven at 350 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes flipping once.  

This is Mazie-- I couldn't resist.  She is pretty darn cute! 

1 comment:

  1. Aww. What a great picture! Mazie is so excited to be in your blog. She enjoyed seeing you in minnie- town

    ReplyDelete